The Scardale diet is a type of slimming diet that is characterized by a weight loss very fast, due to the intake of very few calories. It is one of the oldest diets since it was created and prepared by the Doctor Herman Tarnower in 1970 and published in 1978. However and despite the years, it still has a lot of acceptance by those who decide to lose weight in a very short time.
The Scardale diet is based on the idea of combining proteins, carbohydrates and fats, in the following proportions in the diet of any given day: 43% protein, 22,5% fat and 34,5% carbohydrates. In the years 70 and 80 This diet was widely accepted by a large majority, due to the risks involved in following a very high protein diet they were totally unknown.
To this day it is not recommended to follow a diet high in protein, due to the damage that can suffer the kidneys and the possibility of developing such a typical bone disease as osteoporosis. Even in the 70s, due to possible long-term damage, nutritionists recommended not following them more than two weeks in a row.
According to the bases of this diet, the person who decides to do it may lose about 400 grams a day. There are only 3 meals a day, eliminating lunch and snack. The basis of the diet consists of fruits, vegetables and lean meat. Being a diet very high in protein, the person is completely satisfied and rarely is left hungry. The main problem with this diet and as it usually happens in most of the so-called miracle diets is restricting many foods that are necessary for the proper development of the body.
Another characteristic of the Scardale diet is that it advises drinking at least about 4 glasses of water a day Although there is no limit and the recommended thing would be 8 glasses or two liters of water. Liquid intake is highly beneficial for the body as it helps to eliminate toxins and the loss of accumulated fat.
Table of Contents
Scardale diet type menu
Then I'm going to show you what it would be like a typical daily menu on the Scardale diet. As I have said before in this type of diet there is only 3 meals a day: Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Breakfast would consist of half a grapefruit or some seasonal fruit, a slice of whole wheat bread with nothing and a coffee or a tea without any sugar.
- In the food you can take some grilled chicken along with a salad dressed with a tablespoon of olive oil. You can have a piece of fruit 4 times a week.
- In the case of dinner, you can opt for a fish that does not have a lot of fat, some grilled or steamed vegetables and accompany them with a tablespoon of olive oil.
Prohibited and allowed foods in the Scardale diet
To make it a little clearer for you what the Scardale diet consists of, I am going to list you below what they are forbidden foods or that you can not take in any case and those that you can eat without any problems and that are allowed.
- The foods that are prohibited for the Scardale diet are those that are from high starch content such as potatoes, foods with added fats such as butter or cream, most dairy products, fruit juices, alcohol, sweets or delicatessen products.
- As for the allowed foods And that you can incorporate into the diet without any problem, there are vegetables such as carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach or broccoli. You can use Sweeteners instead of sugar and vinegar or spices they can be incorporated into the dressings. Regarding protein intake, you can have meat or fish but it must be without any fat.
Advantages of the Scardale diet
Miracle diets often have their Good and bad things and people who defend them and others who criticize them, the same is going to happen with the Scardale diet. So that you are fully informed before starting the Scardale diet, below I am going to talk about a series of advantages or benefits that following this type of diet can bring you.
- It is a diet that you will get good results in a very short time. If you need to lose weight quickly, it is a perfect diet to follow.
- By consisting of a diet made with a series of specific foods, You do not have to go crazy counting the calories of each product or see how much each food you eat weighs.
- It does not need to be supplemented with any type of exercise or physical activityIf you follow the guidelines set by the diet, you will lose the kilos you set.
Drawbacks of the Scardale diet
- As usually happens with this type of diet, the diet that you are going to follow it is not balanced at all and the body does not receive all the nutrients it needs to function perfectly.
- Breakfast it does not provide enough nutrients or energy to start the day.
- By consisting of only 3 meals per day, you may experience a lack of energy, some weakness or have some hunger.
- According to some nutrition experts, this diet should not be prolonged for a long time as they can cause serious health problems such as increased uric acid or dehydration. In addition to this, the kidney can be seriously damaged or harmed.
- Although physical exercise is healthy for the body, it is not recommended, due to lack of nutrients and to the few calories consumed throughout the day.
In the event that you decide to start the Scardale diet it is important that before consult your family doctor to advise you if it may pose any kind of risk to your health.
Video about the Scardale diet
Then I leave you an explanatory video about the Scardale diet so you can learn a little more about it.