The Atkins diet It is one of the most popular and well-known slimming diets that exist and consists of carrying out a diet low in carbohydrates. Those who defend this diet, affirm that the person who decides to follow this plan, can lose weight eating all the protein and fat you want, as long as you avoid foods high in carbohydrates.
Numerous studies have shown that low carbohydrate diets they are quite effective when it comes to losing weight and that they do not constitute great health risks.
The Atkins diet was created and developed by Dr. Robert C Atkins in 1972, when he decided to publish a book in which he promised Lose Weight following a series of guidelines and with surprising final results. From that moment, she became one of the most popular diets all over the world to this day.
At first this diet was severely criticized by the health authorities of the time, because it promoted excessively the intake of saturated. Subsequent studies have shown that saturated fat is not at all harmful to people's health.
It has been proven that the key to success in weight loss diets that are low in carbohydrates It is because by eating more protein, the person satisfies their appetite a lot and ends up ingesting a lot fewer calories which helps the desired weight loss.
The 4 phases of the Altkins diet
The famous Atkins diet is divided into 4 distinct phases:
- The induction phase: In these first days of this meal plan you should eat less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day for about 2 weeks. You can eat foods rich in fat, protein, and green leafy vegetables. In this phase you lose a lot of weight.
- The equilibrium phase: In this phase they are added little by little other types of food to nourish the body. You can eat nuts, low-carb vegetables, and small amounts of fruit.
- The adjustment phase: In this phase the person is very close to achieving your ideal weight so you can add more carbohydrates to your diet and slow down weight loss.
- The maintenance phase: In this last phase the person can eat the cabohydrates that your body needs without taking any weight.
Some people who follow this type of diet skip the induction phase completely and choose to incorporate a large amount of fruits and vegetables into the diet. This diet choice is quite effective in achieving the desired goal. On the contrary, other people choose to stay in the induction phase indefinitely, it is popularly known as the ketogenic diet or very low in carbohydrates.
Foods to avoid on the Atkins diet
There are a number of foods that you should avoid eating while on the Atkins diet:
- Any type of sugars which includes soft drinks, candy, ice cream or fruit juice.
- Nothing to eat cereals like wheat, rye or rice.
- The vegetable oils such as soybeans or corn are totally prohibited.
- Fruits with a high level of carbohydrates such as bananas, apples, oranges or pears.
- All the vegetables such as lentils, chickpeas or beans are also excluded from this diet.
- Starch should not be avoided either, so the potatoes you will not be able to eat them.
Foods you can safely eat on the Atkins diet
Next I will detail what foods if you can consume in this type of slimming diet:
- Is allowed eating meat such as beef, pork, chicken or turkey.
- Fish and seafood like salmon, tuna or sardines.
- A food as nutritious as the eggs you can include it in this diet.
- Green leafy vegetables They are also included so you can have spinach, broccoli or kale.
- Any type of nuts such as almonds, walnuts or pumpkin seeds are fully allowed.
- Healthy fats of the type of extra virgin olive oil.
Drinks on the Atkins diet
The drinks that are allowed on the Atkins diet are as follows:
- First Water, which is perfect for being fully hydrated and eliminating toxins.
- The coffee It is allowed because it is rich in antioxidants and very healthy for the body.
- Another very beneficial drink for health and that the Atkins diet allows is green tea.
Instead you should avoid drinks that contain alcohol and they contain a lot of carbohydrates like beer.
Typical diet for one week on the Atkins diet
Next and to make it clearer, I show you an example of what it would be like weekly feeding on the Atkins diet. (Induction phase)
- Monday: for breakfast some eggs and vegetablesFor lunch a chicken salad along with a handful of nuts and for dinner a steak with vegetables.
- Tuesday: Eggs and bacon for breakfast, chicken and vegetables left over from the night before and at night for lunch a cheeseburger and vegetables.
- Wednesday: at breakfast time you can eat one omelette with vegetables, at lunchtime a salad and at night a sautéed meat with vegetables.
- Thursday: Eggs and vegetables for breakfast, leftovers from last night's dinner at lunch, and dinner salmon with butter and vegetables.
- Friday: for breakfast bacon and eggsFor lunch, a chicken salad with a handful of walnuts and meatballs with vegetables for dinner.
- Saturday: for breakfast an omelette with vegetables, for lunch the leftover meatballs from the night before and for dinner some pork chops with vegetables.
- Sunday: Eggs and bacon for breakfast, pork chops for dinner and dinner grilled chicken wings with vegetables.
I hope I have clarified all the doubts about the Atkins diet, it is a healthy and effective way to lose weight and achieve the desired figure. Here is an explanatory video to make everything clearer about the Atkins diet.