Vegetable glycerin is also known as glycerol It is a clear, odorless liquid made from plant oils, particularly palm, soy, or coconut oil.
If you want to know what vegetable glycerin is, what is it for, what can it do for you, what properties does it have and where you can get it, do not hesitate to continue reading these lines.
Glycerin is also known as glycerol and is obtained from plant oil through a process called hydrolysis.
Table of Contents
What is vegetable glycerin?
Vegetable glycerin is a clear, colorless liquid that also does not provide any odor, has a sweet taste and is soluble in water and alcohol.
It has many uses and covers many fields from the cosmetic, food and pharmaceutical industries. In addition, it is used as a substitute for alcohol in botanical and herbaceous tinctures.
Properties of vegetable glycerin
It is made from a hydrolysis process. This process consists of the pressure that is exerted on the oils at a certain temperature together with a certain amount of water.
This pressure causes the glycerin to separate from the fatty acids and be absorbed by the water. What results is distilled to achieve greater purity. Pure vegetable glycerin has a texture similar to that of syrup because within its composition there are three hydroxyl groups.
The uses of glycerin can be multiple, know them and be amazed at what it can do for you.
- Keeps the skin hydrated and moist. Helps skin collect more water from the air and dry out.
- Heals the dry skin, rough and irritated.
- Softens the skin Prevent our skin from looking aged, apply glycerin to smooth the skin and thus prevent problems associated with age. Redness, irritation, or dryness.
- Minimizes water loss from the skin.
- Improves skin quality and it makes us not get pimples.
- Protects the skin in a healthy way, It can act as a natural protector of the face or the areas where you apply it.
- Nourishes the skin
- Cleanses pores, removes dirt and the dust that is deposited on the skin.
- It enhances the appearance of your skin. It will make it softer, more flexible and elastic.
- Glycerin is also used to add sweetness to low carbohydrate foods.
- Glycerin does not cause cavities.
- It is found in household products such as shampoo or toothpaste.
- It is used as a topical remedy for Burns.
- In suppositories glycerin also appears.
- This substance it is allergen free and kosher certified.
Where to buy glycerin
Glycerin can be bought at the pharmacy or in specialized stores of natural products. It is easy to find although it is true that its consumption is not very developedAbove all it is the industry that uses it to introduce it as a complement.
Precautions of use
This vegetable oil has to be used in certain circumstances. That is, we have to take into account the climate that surrounds us, since In very dry climates it should not be used as it could be harmful to the skin.
The glycerin needs to be in contact with the humid climate, because from there it will obtain the water to improve the quality of the hair, skin and other areas of the body.
You already know a little more about vegetable glycerin, a product not so well known but that we use daily without realizing it.